Ghana Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woman stole neighbor's life savings

Go down

Woman stole neighbor's life savings Empty Woman stole neighbor's life savings

Post by The Boss 2014-08-31, 8:56 pm

Woman stole neighbor's life savings Rhonda-Smith-jpg

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati police say a woman befriended a neighbor, then drained tens of thousands of dollars from her life savings.

Rhonda Smith is accused of using 56-year-old Melissa Cornett's money to buy a camper, take vacations, buy Kings Island passes and buy gas for her friends.

Cornett, who has multiple sclerosis, told WLWT News 5's Karin Johnson that Smith became friends with her, helped clean her house and eventually started calling her "Mom."

After earning Melissa's trust, police say Smith became greedy.

"When this happened it felt, just like something stabbed me," Cornett said.

Police arrested Smith, 39, and charged her with theft.

"It hurts me. I don't feel like I could trust anyone, no," she said. "I thought she cared a lot for me. She just wanted that money."

Now Cornett's life savings are gone.

"We're talking about a theft that's over $150,000. That's really wiped Melissa out," Lt. Scott Reeve with Cincinnati police said.

"Rhonda got a lot of access. Really all access to her financial documents and her credit cards and bank account," Reeve said.

In all, police said Cornett lost as much as $150,000.

Cornett said that after Smith's arrest, Smith's husband called Cornett to see if she could help post bond for her.

She did not. However, someone else did.

Smith is due back in court Wednesday afternoon.

Police say more people could be charged in this case.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Boss
The Boss
Admin
Admin

https://ghana.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down