Ghana Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solider shot in throat and keeps fighting.

Go down

Solider shot in throat and keeps fighting. Empty Solider shot in throat and keeps fighting.

Post by The Boss 2014-08-31, 8:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As their dawn raid on a Taliban position commenced, Mononey and another machine gunner were positioned on a rooftoop overwatch position to provide support. Suddenly 30 Taliban fighters engaged the patrol from all directions in horseshoe ambush.

Moments into the fight Lance Corporal Moloney was struck in the throat by a tracer round which passed clean through. “It winded me like I’ve never been winded. I was thinking “I’ve been shot in the neck, it’s game over. I figured I had minutes left.”

The bullet passed just behind his windpipe, missing arteries by millimeters.

“When after a couple of minutes I was not dead and I could still talk I started to get a better feeling,” he said. “We had to crack on. They were pushing quite hard so it was either maybe die or definitely die because they would have over-run us.”

article-2585746-1C72C9C600000578-238_634x558 Lance Corporal Masters was pinned down almost 300 meters from Moloney’s position when he heard “MAN DOWN!” crackle over his radio. Without thinking twice, Masters sprinted through Taliban fire to reach his wounded brother in two minutes, carrying over 120 pounds of gear. Anyone who’s had to move any length of distance in the Afghan heat, can appreciate a 300m sprint in full kit.
When Masters finally reached his position Moloney told him “Do what you need to do, I have to get back in.” Masters began improvising with field dressings, and forcing them into the wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding. The attempt was successful, as Moloney was able to continue fighting for another 90 minutes, until his platoon commander finally ordered that he leave his position for further medical treatment.
Despite the injury to his throat, Moloney continued shouting information and orders to his team during the fight, and when his evac chopper arrived, he refused to leave the battlefield, having to be ordered aboard.

The Lance Corporal returned to Britain for further treatment, but pushed to get back in fight and was with his brothers in Afghanistan again in under a month.
My respect goes to him.
The Boss
The Boss
Admin
Admin

https://ghana.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum